Xiapu is actually not that popular by tourists, but it is deeply loved by worldwide photographers.
Xiapu, known as the most charming fishing village of China, which is located in the northeast of Fujian province. The local fishermen insert bamboo poles, fish nets and stone columns into the mudflats to dry their catch, creating a vast and striking crab web of black and white outlines. Bamboo poles, fishing nets and fishing boats create a spectacular scene that quite often looks like an old traditional Chinese ink brush painting.
What to Photograph in Xiapu?
- Light and shadow of tide. The tide at sunset glow becomes golden, very texture.
- Fish and seaweed farm on mudflat. Thousands of bamboo poles in water look very dramatic.
- Seaweed harvesting and fishing in circle nets and mangrove forest.
- Buffalo farmers under the amazing sunray thru big banyan trees.
- Indoor people portraits photography in natural light.
When Is The Best Time to Visit Xiapu?
The best time to visit Xiapu is from April to November, good light and stable weather conditions relatively.
- April and May, it is best time to take photos of Yangjia River and the villagers who are fishing in the river.
- April - June, it is harvest time for seaweed and fishery, so it can take good photos of people working in sea with egrets flying above the sea level. This period of time should belong to be the most extensive shooting season of the year with rich genre. After the ground was covered with seaweed, the fishermen would hold up a section of bamboo to hung seaweed to dry up.
- July - September, it is typhoon season, but it is also the best time to shoot the seaside sky clouds, sunrise and sunset.
- October - December, it is time for the harvest of laver. Photographers can take good photos of working people and maple leaf in Yangjiaxi.
- Travel Smart May and October are the photography peak season, 5 times more Chinese photographers flood into there.
The Suggested Travel Dates to Xiapu in 2021
|Month||Suggested Travel Dates||Month||Suggested Travel Dates||April||5-9||20-24||May||5-9||20-24|
How to Reach Xiapu
Xiapu is located about 150 km north of Fuzhou, the capital city of Fujian province. Now it is very easy to reach by highspeed trains from many big cities, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Xiamen, Fuzhou and more.
- Shanghai - Xiapu | 6 trains a day, starting from 8:20am to 2:45pm, it takes 5.5 hours
- Xiamen - Xiapu | 14 trains a day, starting from 8am to 5pm, it takes 2.5 hours
- Fuzhou - Xiapu | 22 trains a day, starting from 6:45am to 8:20pm, it takes only one hour
- Hangzhou - Xiapu | 10 trains a day, starting from 7:16am to 4:40pm, it takes 4 hours
Camera Gears Suggestions for Xiapu Photography Tour
Generally speaking, you need a wide angle lens and telephoto lens for Xiapu photography tour. Most of excellent mudflat photos and work scenes were taken by the lenses over 200mm. For a better angle, you will stand on a high spot that is far from mudflat and people who work there, so the lenses of 70-200mm or 200mm-500mm will help you get some super good shots.
For sunrise or sunset, you will capture the big pictures, the wide angle lenses will be very practical, such as 24-70, 16-35mm.
Besides, two cameras will be more convenient to shoot different scenes, the light changes very fast on mudflat, you may miss the sunray or red glow while you change the lens.