Xiapu it actually not that popular by tourists, but it is deeply loved by worldwide photographers.
Xiapu, known as the most charming fishing village of China, which is located in the northeast of Fujian province. The local fishermen insert bamboo poles, fish nets and stone columns into the mudflats to dry their catch, creating a vast and striking crab web of black and white outlines. Bamboo poles, fishing nets and fishing boats create a spectacular scene that quite often looks like an old traditional Chinese ink brush painting
When and What to Photograph in Xiapu
- In April and May, it is best time to take photos of Yangjia River and the villagers who are fishing in the river.
- From April to June, it is harvest time for seaweed and fishery, so it can take good photos of people working in sea with egrets flying above the sea level. This period of time should belong to be the most extensive shooting season of the year with rich genre. After the ground was covered with seaweed, the fishermen would hold up a section of bamboo to hung seaweed to dry up.
- From July to September, it is typhoon season, but it is also the best time to shoot the seaside sky clouds, sunrise and sunset.
- From October to December, it is time for the harvest of laver. Photographers can take good photos of working people and maple leaf in Yangjiaxi.
How to Reach Xiapu
Xiapu is located about 150 km north of Fuzhou, the capital city of Fujian province. Now it is very easy to reach by highspeed trains from many big cities, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Xiamen, Fuzhou and more.
- 1 Shanghai - Xiapu | 6 trains a day, starting from 8:20am to 2:45pm, it takes 5.5 hours
- 2 Xiamen - Xiapu | 14 trains a day, starting from 8am to 5pm, it takes 2.5 hours
- 3 Fuzhou - Xiapu | 22 trains a day, starting from 6:45am to 8:20pm, it takes only one hour
- 4 Hangzhou - Xiapu | 10 trains a day, starting from 7:16am to 4:40pm, it takes 4 hours